The work chakra has become commonplace, the it actually has ancient roots. It was first written about in an Indian text with chakra being Sanskrit for wheel which hints at their reputation for keeping things running in a smooth manner. There are seven chakras that run down the midline of the body from the base of the spine to the top of the head. As energy courses through us, these chakras serve as gatekeepers for their respective areas. When the chakras are running smoothly, both our energy and vitality can flow freely to where it is needed. However, when a chakra is blocked, energy can get trapped and create discomfort for us in our lives and body. For example, a blocked solar plexus which is connected to the stomach, can lead to indigestion.
Chakras serve as a mind-body connection and a physical manifestation of unseen energy. Even if chakras seem outlandish for you, you can still find merit in tuning into specific areas to give that area what is needed. There are several ways to harness the power and to bring back the body centers into balance. People often go to visualization, breathwork, and meditation. Below are a few of the spiritual sages that those who practice truly enjoy.
- Root Chakra – The root chakra is located at the base of the spine and believed to be related to basic needs and our foundation. You may want to pay extra attention to this chakra if you want to constantly travel without a home base, have a disconnection with your family, or ack financial security. Try outdoor meditation for this chakra as you connect, or root, yourself to the earth. Place your bare feet on the earth and feel yourself being grounded as you meditate.
- Sacral Chakra – The sacral chakra is located in the lower abdomen and connects you to others as well as helps you accept change. It further relates to passion, pleasure, and sexual energy. The best form of meditation for this chakra is the crystal meditation. Pul in visualizations and crystals as allies to clear and heal this chakra. Visualize pulling the cords that are causing the block and cutting them. Then sage your area. Try holding a carnelian crystal while breathing deeply and slowly as you connect at the highest levels with the self. Also, lie comfortably on your back with the crystal lying on the chakra for 11 minutes. Close your eyes and visualize the color orange filling up you and your space with light as you heal and balance.
- Solar Plexus Chakra – The solar plexus, located in the upper abdomen, governs self-confidence. If its energy is excessive, you made feel the need to control or show off to others. If it is blocked, you may turn into someone shy or insecure. The morning visualization is ideal for the solar plexus. Try a visualization when you first get up in the morning. Use deep belly breathing to call attention to this chakra. Sit down and breathe deeply, paying attention to your belly moving in and out. Visualize yourself navigating the day ahead, getting through your to-do list with ease. If possible, do this outdoors on a sunny day.
- Heart Chakra – The heart chakra relates to how we process feelings and emotions. The middle chakra is located just above the heart and connects the lower, physical chakras to the upper head and spirit focused ones. Yoga and meditation are great for this chakra when out of balance. Focus on heart opening poses like warrior 2 and a full wheel and then try some free flowing, calming meditation.
- Throat Chakra – The throat chakra is located in the center of the neck and when out of balance means we are not honoring our truth, and usually not speaking it. Meditation is best for this chakra, especially when you add crystals and essential oils to assist you. Try wearing or holding balancing crystals like blue lace, turquoise, or blue calcite. During the meditation, hold it in your left hand so your right is open to receive its energy. If you have a small crystal, lie down and place it on the throat chakra while meditating. Also try using essence oils such as lavender, rosemary, and hyssop for this chakra.
- Third Eye Chakra – The third eye chakra represents intuition and an ability to see beyond the surface. Located between the eyebrows, if this chakra is blocked then you may feel anxious and overwhelmed about the future. Mindful meditation is the best way to strengthen this chakra and our connection to our inner voice. Done daily, this will help the third eye thrive.
- Crown Chakra – This gateway to higher consciousness is located at the top of the head. TO clear it, guided meditation is best. Start by sitting quietly with the spine straight and cross legged on the floor or with at least your feet flat on the floor. Align the core by sending imaginary roots down through the spine and into the earth, as well as up through the head and into the heavens. This will keep you centered during the meditation. Now, imagine breathing in light as your crown chakra opens and grace, guidance, and consciousness are pulled inside. There is an infinite supply, so drink it in until your body feels filled with this radiant light. When you are finished, take your time and slowly disconnect so you maintain this state during your day.